Wednesday, 9 June 2010

SDC9: What Does Summer Mean to You?


With the official first day of summer fast approaching Valerie (the birthday girl, stop by to wish her a happy birthday) challenges you to bring the heat! Your creation should reflect what summer means to you. We hope you'll get fired up about this sizzling challenge and join in for a chance to win a smokin' hot $15 Stampotique gift certificate!! You may use any stamps that spark your inspiration.

I decided to make a mini canvas and made it in two parts - the canvas itself and the bird was made at Lynne's and the rest was made when my DT stamps arrived!

For me, the summer means warm days, flowers and sunshine but, with this country being this country, it also means lots of rain too. The past 2 years have brought major flooding to some parts of Britain, so I've replaced Bird Legs's shoes with wellies so she's prepared for anything. And judging by the weather today, we may have had our summer last week!


For the canvas I used some 3D paste that I bought after seeing ~{Di}~ using some at the retreat. I've pushed some sequin waste into it for the honeycomby type pattern, then painted the canvas with different acrylic paints.

I've used the following Stampotique stamps:

9044 Handbag Bee (minus the bag) by Janet Klein
9077 Bird Legs by Janet Klein
2005 Floral Display by Maryse Carrier - I've cut the flowers once they were stamped onto patterned paper.

The bird and the bees are coloured using Copics. For the bees I did one as a kissing technique so it faced the other way. I have a flat blank stamp, so I inked up the bee, stamped it onto the blank stamp, then stamped that onto card. I just needed to go over the edges a bit to make it nice and black to match the others. I've done the wings with stickles. The bird's hat and beak have some glossy accents on them.

You don't need to use Stampotique stamps for this challenge, so it'd be great to see what you feel about summer. You can make anything, just link it back to the ~{Stampotique Designer's Challenge Blog}~ so we can come and have a look and one lucky person will be randomly chosen to win that $15 Voucher to spend in the ~{Stampotique Shop}~. ~{Carol}~ has updated the home page with some new projects made by some of the designers, so go have a peep at it.

13 comments:

Karen said...

oh oh oh I LOVE it Kaz!!!! Gorgeous colours and wicked humour!!! You are so right about our weather hahaha HUGS XXX

Summerthyme Studio said...

Kaz, your card put a HUGE smile on my face this morning! Love everything about it

Hugs

Vicki

Di said...

My goodness Kaz, what a gorgeous canvas...I've so been looking forward to seeing it....and not a finger mark in site ha ha! xx

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Those legs in wellies really made me smile- a brilliant adaptation, love it. This has a really serene feel about it as well as humour- excellent.

Willy said...

What a fabulous summer creation, Kaz!

Janice said...

Fab canvas, love the colours and the sentiment!

Kim said...

Wow wow wow! AWESOME! I just love the colours, the background, all the flowers...crazy!! That's a lot of cutting!! Love it!!

:)
Kim P.

Basement Stamper said...

your canvas is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the colors of it and the bird with boots is too funny.

Valerie H. Wilson said...

Kaz, what a great effect! Thank you for explaining your background - it rocks! The colors are especially summery!
Val :)

Hazel said...

I saw this on the challenge blog and thought how fab it is - and, sadly, how true - lol! x

Hella said...

Love the summer colors and the flowers and... ;) Great job!

Traceyr said...

Hahaha look the fact that the bird has wellies on! The sequin waste idea for the honeycomb is wonderful too Kaz. You are a clever woman.

:)

craftytrog said...

Absolutely brilliant Kaz! Love the big bird!