Saturday, 23 October 2010

Art, Heart and Healing Journal Page

I have made no secret of the fact that I failed art O level. In fact, I have gone on and on about it as I feel I've been cheated of years of creativity because I thought I had no talent for it. So when I saw that Tam of ~{Willowing.Ning}~ was doing a freebie course that included drawing a face for a journal page, I signed up immediately.

I learned more from the two, one hour videos than I did of 5 years of art at school - so thanks Tam for helping me. This is what I came up with after following the steps:


I can't believe that I drew this!! She made it seem so easy to do and I have been practising faces on any scrap of paper I have found. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination - she has one eye bigger than the other for starters - but I am more than happy with it.

I used watercolour pencils for the face (I have just received the watercolour crayons I got with my birthday money) and watercolour and acrylic paints for the background. I loved using the brayer with paints and will be doing this more often. I've finished off with the doodled flowers that I seem to be using all the time lately.

The videos are going to be online via the link above, or the link in the right hand column on here, so you can have a go if you're that way inclined when you have a spare afternoon.

Kaz xxx

16 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Kaz...you have done an amazing job on this!!!!! Its fantastic and your shading is far better than mine. As for one eye being bigger, don't worry, I can't see that it is! See you can draw sweetheart! I couldn't dowload the videos though xxx

Net said...

Oh wow Kaz that's super! You clever stick!

tracy said...

i just knew she'd be georgous :)
well done :)

Angelnorth said...

Fantastic! Love the shading and as for one ey bigger than the other you can call that hyper-realism and be done :o) Well done you, one in the eye for the art teacher, I reckon!

Linby said...

This is fantastic - well done you. Love the colours you used.
Linbyx

Traceyr said...

Kaz - super, smashing, great! WOW that is really fantastic. A*
:)

Dotty Jo said...

You drew this - wow Kaz, I think she's gorgeous!!!!! I think you've unlocked a real talent there!!!! Jo x

Hazel said...

Perfect shading - a beautiful work of art - you should be very proud of it x

Carmen said...

I didn't do as well as I had hoped in art at school either Kaz. I was fine all the time it was lessons but as soon as it went to the exams I failed miserably. Didn't help that the art teacher had help up a past students entry that was flawless and told us we had to be of a higher level because that piece had failed. How do you mark art? It's ridiculous - I know that now but at the time I crashed and burned and then of course lost all confidence, didn't follow up on what I REALLY wanted to do which was go on to college blah, blah,, blah... still - least we are doing it now eh? Better late than never.

Your face is beautiful - I think she is perfect with her imperfection. I love her!

Carmen said...

Oops help up = held up.

Lavender Rose said...

I think this is wonderful, you did a great job! The colour and shading is very effective.

Janice said...

You've done a great job. I can't get the vids to download on my crap broadband :( Not that I have had time to have a go anyway!

Kristin said...

Beautiful page!!! I love the soft, etherial quality of her - and you're statement is so good (for me too!) Thank you for your sweet comment and I will be back, as I am now a follower of your very cool blog, xo

Kathy said...

You've done such a wonderful job on this, Kaz. Love your tando stuff below, too

Artyjen said...

Ooh! Its gorgeous...and don't fret 'cos in real life our faces are not symetrical...I'm speaking from a personal point of view not an educated art one!!! LOL
xoxo Sioux

Mandy aka Crafty Angel said...

she is amazing!! just love her, well done you, big pat on back xxx