Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Stampotique Designer's Challenge ~ Alter a Book Page

This time ~{Val}~  has set the ~{Stampotique Designer's Challenge}~ and she is asking us to alter a book page and she's being very generous and allowing any kind of bookpage - whoo!

In my head this seemed so easy. I hadn't stopped to think properly how to achieve it. It turned out to be far more complicated than I imagined, but I'm stubborn and once I'd started there was no way I was going to back down! As I got nearer to finishing though, I was really enjoying myself.

This started off as a child's thick cardboard book and 4 days later it had morphed into this:




I started off by cutting the middles out of the pages - that hurt! They were so thick! After I'd recovered I stamped the following stamps onto card:
~{6120 Smumanha}~
~{6122 Smushallaum}~
~{6124 Octopet}~ and
~{6078 Smile}~  and coloured them with Copics and added some Glossy Accents.
I stamped ~{7098 Tangled}~ onto acetate.

I made a few sheets of background paper using watercolour crayons and gesso and stamped Tangled  randomly on them.

Next I stuck a different piece to each separate page starting with a sheet of background paper and stuck the pages together as I went finishing up with an acetate layer. I then cut a sheet of the paper and made a frame from it to hide the roughened edges! I found a poem about mermaids to write around the edge by Paul Perro on history-for-kids. It reads:
Mermaids have got fish's tails
They cannot walk at all.
They're good at water polo
But suck at basketball.
 
 For the front, I stuck a background paper sheet down and stamped the words using ~{7230 Altered Alpha}~. The final bit of stamping was done using ~{3031 Abstract Foliage}~ onto the last of the background paper. 
It was all stuck down and then I added a clear Fragment type tag with Glossy Accent for Smile's scuba helmet. I had a bit of an accident and added a bit too much, but by this point there wasn't much to do except mop it up as best as possible. 
It was all finished off with loads of doodling. I am now having to explain why I am keeping this one. I shall be searching Lucy when she leaves my home!!!
 
It's an any stamp challenge this time so for a chance to win a $30 gift certificate to spend in the ~{Stampotique Store}~   come and join in.

Kaz xxx

25 comments:

Basement Stamper said...

OMG, this is so funny, I love that you used the whole book and cut out the insides and these colors are amazing. Great job on the challenge.

Carol said...

Incredible work, Karen.

Valerie H. Wilson said...

Kaz, you've outdone yourself with this piece!!! I want to come live inside the world in your head!!! This project is spectacular - your idea came together brilliantly!! There is so much that is clever about this project but my favorite aspects are the layering inside the scene making it so incredibly dimensional and the tremendously creative use of the fragment as the scuba helmet - OMG, laughing!!! I'm undone by your creativity!!
Val :)

Atticelf said...

This is great! Do you have any hints for cutting the pages? I have a partially cut one that I started last Feb. I gave up on it since it didn't seem like I was EVER going to be able to cut through those chipboard pages.
Thanks!

Angelnorth said...

Absolutely love this, fab use of a board book to get separation between layers and that diving helmet is inspired!

Jane Wetzel said...

Incredibly funny and cute! WOW! You have certainly out done yourself!

Hazel said...

This is a wonderful creation - so much work and creativity - love it x

Willy said...

Great altering, fabulous book!!

Lisa Somerville said...

Fab take on the challenge - love the altered book!

dutchstamptramp said...

Fabulous idea Kaz! Love it very much

Caroline said...

Great idea Kaz, and I can imagine it must have been hard to remove all those hard pages. Worth the effort though...x

Karen said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!!! this is just incredible Kaz!!!!! You sure you want to keep it hahahaha!!!! So much work in this piece HUGS xxx

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

The rhyme about the mermaids made me lol and I love the scuba helmet.

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

The rhyme about the mermaids made me lol and I love the scuba helmet.

Rebecca said...

Love this Kaz (can I call you Kaz?) This is my 1st Stampotique challlenge (only just discovered them & only have 2 of their stamps at present!!)
Happy craftin
Rebecca

Jane Wetzel said...

hey there Kaz!! THANK YOU for the sweet suprize yesterday when I got home and checked the mail! THANKYOU for the birthday card! How incredibly nice of you and I LOVE it!
Sending u big hugs :) jane

Moogsmum said...

What a great book and so much work! I love seeing your creations :o)

x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool, such a fantastic piece of art.

Traceyr said...

What a brilliant book Kaz - great recycling and I do hope Lucy didn't acquire the book when she left your home?

tee hee :)

Sue said...

Brilliant Kaz! I thought it was just images in a frame until I read on, super idea to use acetate for each page.
Sue x

tracy said...

OMGosh,this is fantastic-i love it all :) liking the poem LOL

Alison said...

Fantastic altering Kaz! I NEED those mermaids! x

Sherry Edwards said...

Lovely detailed card Kaz and I love the little verse you doodled too!

ferrellgraph-x said...

Amazing little book you created!
Kindest regards,
Jennifer Ferrell

johanna said...

this turned out fantastic! and i love these sea creatures.